Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have been grinding my teeth at night and got a mouth guard

Customer Question

i have been grinding my teeth at night and got a mouth guard recently. but i still have thin white line on the left side of the tongue and it is beginning to be painful.
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: what else
JA: Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 11 months ago.
Hello there, The white line on the side of your tongue is normal if you've been grinding your teeth and likely biting your tongue at night. It is, essentially scar tissue an this is quite common. But if the pain is worsening - not getting better after the recent mouthguard / night guard your dentist may need to adjust the night guard to make it less likely that your tongue will get caught while biting during your sleep. He may be able to do so by simply beveling the area on the night guard where your tongue is being bitten. I would recommend having your dentist do so.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan
Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan