Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

I had my last remains 6 uppers pulled 2 weeks ago. Now have

Customer Question

I had my last remains 6 uppers pulled 2 weeks ago. Now have upper dentures. I have had aggressive Sjogrens since I was 32. It ruined my teeth. I saw a endo dentist would day my top teeth were all dead, and could be infected and harbor infection, I had not reaction to cold/electric testing. Now the bottoms, they want me to have front baby teeth pulled, I have 7 teeth left and 1 molar with a cavity at the base and in the middle which usually is not a good sign for me, and leave a canine on the right, which has a cavity that needs filled, and attach a partial to those two teeth. My dentist says dentures on bottom are very hard to deal with, but I am very worried, that I will pay for pay for all this and then a partial and know the two teeth will not be around long, as the endo doc said teeth have a life span and when they all start to go, they usually go, these front teeth are covered with plaque and calcification as I can not tolerate tooth cleaning, so they are very bad, like the front three, I don't know what to do,I feel not better from having the uppers pulled and think the infection is in the bottom, I have been on antibiotics for high White count and fever for weeks and they checked all they could and said it has to be low grade tooth infection, but they don't see on X-ray which has happened everytime I get sick like this over the years, they don't see much and pull the tooth and problem solved, Does this sound normal for Severe systemic (in blood ) Sjogren?and are bottom dentures terrible?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.
HelloBot***** *****ne: do not leave chronic infection.If you can't find a dentist that can assure you of this, then get the dentures. I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed [] and ask “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.Here is that link again:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

My question was does this sound normal in sjogrens? would taking long term antibiotic and steroids mask infections, and teeth could die, what damage can dead teeth do?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I asked for a dentist and got this one response, can I please get a dentist answer.
Dead teeth are infected by definition.It is not necessarily normal because of sjogrens.Yes, steroids and antibiotics long term can mask infections.Please click a positive rating on the scale now.Come back as needed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Slogans patients have much higher incidence of issues with teeth because they produce no saliva and hence bad bacteria grow, even dentist I have seen has said the problems are obviously from Sjogrens are are considered a Hallmark of the disease process, loss of teeth. I have been losing teeth since I was 25.

I know it is from sjogrens, I had asked if this was normal per say with sjogrens, I am more worried about having more teeth pulled since they top being removed did not help the way I have been feeling. So when teeth die, how are they infected? when they removed the ones on top, they saw no obvious infection but said if they tested as dead, the pull was dead, and could have had small infection seeping and long term biaxin and steroids could have masked it.

I had asked for a dentist who knows about this issue, it seems they are not any on line, or they don't know.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 months ago.
I noticed the negative rating. Can I help?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes, if you could answer my initial question, I don't feel this expert knows about it and then did not respond when I said one thing to him.

Thanks for this questionThis doesn't sound normal in Sjogren's mollie.This seems severe.Bottom dentures are hard to deal with but not terribleThey are better than infected teethI would get bottoms if I were in your shoes.hopefully this answers itif not, lets continue until we get you all the help you need
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I saw Doctor Robert Fox at Scripts clinic when I was dx 22 years ago with very aggressive Sjogrens/lupus, he told me Sjogrens patients most often end up with dentures, this is an excerpt from his article

Prevention of dental caries

The loss of teeth in SS patients results from a combination of low oral pH that facilitates loss of dental calcium and the alterations of oral flora that lead to accelerated decay (13, 39) (40, 41). These problems have been recently reviewed (42). (43).

My question was how do dead teeth have infection, and did dentist see this happen. I have lost my teeth gradually over 20 years, failed root canals, reabsorbtion issues, and even with brushing everyday, because of my saliva, bad bacteria takes over. I feel like I know more about this than you that you think this is not normal, when Systemic SS is know for causing rampant decay and loss of teeth and the endo dentist that tested me said it was totally the Sjogrens and happens. I was hoping a Dentist who deals with teeth could address my worry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
could I please get a dentist, since that is what I requested, and someone that answers - thanks
It might not be the tooth but the root and gums
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok, I said my teeth were dead when tested my an endo dentist. I am just going to keep asking for a dentist to respond, and also call Just answer, I don't have time for this kind of unprofessional service.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you. I can opt out. Hopefully you get the help you need and I'm sorry about your health issues.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

yes please opt out. thanks