Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

Our 17 month old daughter has been teething with her molars

Customer Question

Our 17 month old daughter has been teething with her molars just breaking through. She's been very irritable lately with slight fever and a tiny loss in appetite which we just were contributing to her teething. Yesterday we started noticing some white puss spots on the tip of her tongue. We then thought she probably has a case of oral thrush (I'm still nursing her and also have a sore/cracked nipple as well so thrush made sense to us). Anyways, tonight as she was crying, we noticed an even larger white mass on the top corner of her gums (near where her molar just broke through). We thought maybe it was food caked up so my husband put on some gloves in attempt to feel it and possibly remove it. After realizing it wasn't food and very painful to her- we are wondering if she is experiencing some type of infection on her gums? And if so, what we should do? I will also add that her breath has been a little smelly as well. Please let us know your advice. If this is something we should make an appointment to our pediatrician ASAP or a local dentist, thank you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 5 months ago.
Hello there,From your description, your 17 month old daughter may well have oral thrush. It is typically characterized by white or yellow patches or bumps on the oral tissues. A mild fever can accompany oral thrush on occasion. And it can be contagious if you are nursing. It can also cause discomfort if the infection is present in the baby's esophagus.A noticeable "smell" of her breath is also consistent. If she is also teething, this, of course can cause irritabilitiy separately. An infection on her gums other than thrush is unlikely in a 17 month old. The white area may simply be the appearance of the gum tissue during eruption. I would recommend that you take her to a pedodontist first, as this is somewhat more within the specific oral / dental realm. He may suggest seeing a pediatrician, but the pedodontist is likely the best place to take her first. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dr. Shernan,
While I appreciate your answer, when I submitted my question- I was hoping for a quicker response. This was my first time using this website, so it's probably my fault for not reading up on it more before paying the $36 to ask just one question. As a mother with a fussy baby late last night though, I was desperate. I appreciate your advice and expertise, but everything you replied back, I was able to research and discover for myself before ever receiving your response back. Because of that, I will be requesting a refund. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. $36 is just way too much to have spent on something I was able to research and discover for myself before getting a response back. Everything about your answer was greatly appreciated and I mean no disrespect by this- but as I said, because of the time it took to receive a response, I am unfortunately unsatisfied with this service.
Hello Chelsea, No problem - I completely understand. I'm here on the East coast. I answered your question because when I awoke I saw that it went unanawered through the night. Save the $36. I hope your daughter is comfortable and 100% very soon. Feel free to ask if you have any future dental or oral health related questions in the future. Be well, Dr Shernan