Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have a small yellow/white bump on my right tonsil area, could

Customer Question

I have a small yellow/white bump on my right tonsil area, could this be tonsil cancer?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.
Hello there, This does not sound at all serious. In all likelihood you have a simple minor infection - probably a virus. The tonsils often appear to have yellow or white bumps and spots when the throat is infected due to a virus or other cause. This will probably disappear within a week to ten day period. If the white bump persists after two weeks it would be a good idea to have your dentist take a look just as a precaution. But, based on your description, cancer is extremely unlikely.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get the pic?
Hello, I did receive the picture - thanks. The picture was helpful - a picture is worth a thousand words... The area does not appear to be anything serious. I would give it a couple of weeks to disappear on its own, as I mentioned. Of course, there is no harm in having an oral surgeon evaluate the area clinically sooner. But it is really not necessary before waiting two weeks to see if it disappears on its own. It appears to be a common minor infection. I would advise you to seek a consult after a two week period if the white area is still there.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had it a couple of weeks
Hello again, If it ha salready been two weeks without change, it would be a good idea to have a consult with your dentist. It is still very unlikely that it is serious. But after a couple of weeks it's always best to be safe and have a clinical evaluation. Dr Shernan
Let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. I'm here to help - and happy to do so.If not, I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it look like it could be cancerous? dont really have a soar throat, just the need to swallow often
Hello, There is no way of being absolutely certain what the cause is without taking a biopsy. But that does not appear to be necessary. As I mentioned, this definitely does NOT appear to cancerous - or even serious. It appears to be a minor infection - likely a virus or possibly a harmless cyst. However, if it has already been two weeks without change, it would be a good idea to have a consult with your dentist. It is still very unlikely that it is serious. But after a couple of weeks it's always best to be safe and have a clinical evaluation. Let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan