Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have a few small cuts on the tip of my tongue, and a little

Customer Question

I have a few small cuts on the tip of my tongue, and a little redness...what is the best treatment? I think I bit my tongue and/or ate something too hot. I have heard salt water is good, but also that salt is not too good so I am confused as to what to do. Thank you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 11 months ago.
Hello there, Biting the tongue accidentally is very common. Fortunately the tongue heals itself quite quickly. But rinsing with a cup of warm water and a teaspoon of salt can, indeed, be soothing and the salinity also promotes healing of the wound. Using an aloe vera gel can also help speed the healing process. Some people find that applying just a bit ofmint flavored toothpaste to the affected area can sooth the stinging, if only temporarily. As long as the wound isn't deep, it should heal itself within two or three days.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for me effort. That is how I'm paid for my work here. Be well, Dr Shernan
Hi Margie, You mentioned that the cuts aren't too deep but have been there for several days. If it has been that long you may have re-injured the area. This is common. If the injured area of the tongue swells a bit, it is more likely to be bitten again. But if you feel there is no new bite, the healing process should be noticeable - less soreness, etc. If after ten days to two weeks the area does not seem to be healing it might be wise to have your dentist examine the area.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for me effort. That is how I'm paid for my work here. Be well, Dr Shernan
Hi Margie, Do you need additional information to answer your question.? I'm here to help - and happy to do so. If not, I'd appreciate a positive rating for me effort. That is how I'm paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan