Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I just had work done on my teeth a few months ago on the

Customer Question

Hi I just had work done on my teeth a few months ago on the top right hand side of my mouth and I am waking up with severe pain and it feels like it's coming from the tooth that they done the root canal on but I can hardly tell which tooth the pain is actually coming from...the pain is driving me insane!!! It's mostly only when I lay down though...
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else important you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: I also have a molar on the bottom right hand side that is decayed and the root is sticking out that is causing me extreme pain...could this be making my top teeth hurt?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.
Without seeing xrays of your mouth,I cannot give you an accurate diagnosis of what is causing your pain however from your posting,it is likely that you have an infection in one or both of the teeth involved.Root canal therapy can sometimes fail but the lower tooth,if infected can actually pushed up out of the socket enough to cause a hyperocclusion with the opposing tooth.That is why you may feel pain in both the upper and lower teeth at the same time.Do you have any swelling? Do you have any recent xrays of your mouth that you can upload?.I will be on the road for a bit but in the meantime,rinsing with some warm salt water or hydrogen peroxide can sometimes give relief by dislodging any debris that may be trapped in the lower tooth.It sounds as if you need to be placed on an antibiotic.The ones of choice would be penicillin,amoxicillin or clindamycin.Do you have any of these available?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, once I got up the pain immediately went away...it's only when I'm laying down that I have the excruciating pain...it's so weird! Now my bottom molar that's decayed hurts all the time but the top only hurts when I lay down...they did x-rays 2 was ago but I don't have them😕
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.
The xrays would help.Do you have any swelling?Is there any pain under the angle of your jaw?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I don't see or feel any swelling...my gum is just red on the bottom...I tried putting motrin from a liquid gel in my decayed tooth for the pain & it didn't really help just tastes awful...I could swear the pain up top is coming from the root canal they done but I asked him 2 weeks ago and he took the silver filling out of the tooth in front of it and put white stuff in...I've had pain ever since I left there...I should have said this pain didn't start til I came home 2 weeks ago...he sais the root canal couldn't hurt cause there's no roots but something is killing me up there
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.
There are still roots on the teeth but there is no nerve inside of the roots.The possible cause of the pain on the upper tooth would be a persistent abscess or a fracture.A new xray needs to be taken to see what is going on at the tip of the roots.The pain could also be coming from the tooth in front of the root canaled tooth .That is why xrays are necessary for me to diagnose what your problem is.It is possible that the nerve in the tooth that he put the white stuff in is dead.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also has really horrible tasting blood coming from between the root canal teeth and the tooth behind it...I'm scared to go to bed...I know as soon as I lay down the top will start hurting and I have zero pain right now...how do I get ahold of the xrays?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The root canal tooth is not capped yet...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do they do for a fractured tooth?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.
Caps do not stop pain,they just prevent teeth from fracturing.If a tooth has a vertical fracture,the tooth needs to be extracted.Other fractures can be fixed as long as they are above the bone level.You can ask your dentist to email the xrays to you.It sounds as if you have several things going on that have not been fixed yet.Without the xrays I cannot tell you exactly what your problem is.