Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I am having inflammed rugae area of right side of the mouth....nd

Customer Question

I am having inflammed rugae area of right side of the mouth....nd its painful....having difficulty in chewing as well...
Whats the causes of this nd the treatment..?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 7 months ago.
Hello there,The rugae are the ridged, bumpy tissue on the palate. Inflamed rugae are generally causes by eating overly hot, spicy or hard foods. Mechanical irritation, for example. injury from a fork or biting something sharp, like a tortilla chip, , can also cause the issue. Pizza or hot soup burn is a classic example of what can inflame the rugae. The inflammation generally heals on its own within a couple of days. Rinsing with a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of salt can also soothe and promote healing. You should try to eat a soft diet and avoid foods that are excessively hot, spicy or hard. If the inflammation persists for more than a week (very unlikely) it would be wise to seek a consult with your dentist for evaluation. But it is very likely that, with a little care, the issue will resolve on its own within a few days. Ibuprophen (Advil or generic) is a good choice for medication because it not only provides pain relief, but it is also an anti-inflammatory. So it will promote faster healing while increasing your comfort. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise, I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. This is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan