Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I have tooth 13? upper left root candled and crown applied

Customer Question

Hi- I have tooth 13? upper left root candled and crown applied in 13'. Always sore. Dentist adjusted the crown a year ago. Now I am hot cold sensitive and in pain. Very odd given the fact that I have had a root canal. I called and spoke with the on call physician and he told me to take ibuprofen and to start amoxicillian which he called in for me. I will pick that up this morning. Will the pain subside? It is appropriate to return the call and ask for something else to treat the pain or do you feel ibuprofen is the best med? I am taking 3-4 every 4-6 hours. I do not want to bother this dentist on the weekend!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 7 months ago.
I think it's safe to say that while no medication works exactly the same for everyone, Ibuprofen generally, does work quite well for most to relieve our pain. So, I would suggest using such. Coupled with the antibiotic as well. As for tooth #13: It's difficult to tell exactly "why" it is hurting if it's had a root canal around 2013, and had the crown adjusted & yet still hurts you. I would suggest either going back to your Dentist, or a second opinion Dentist, getting an x-ray of the root tip ( a PA x-ray), and an opinion from the Dentist... If I were guessing, and I am - the root canal may not have been done properly, and/or, you may need another (quite simple to have done) procedure called a Apicoectomy/Retrograde filling done on tooth #13. Sorry, maybe too much information here & I may be ahead of myself, but DO see a Dentist in the forthcoming week or so, if pain continues and have him or her go over "why" it's hurting and "how" to fix the pain!I hope this helps you!Dr. Rampton*PS: If you have additional concerns - please do not hesitate to ask - OK?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok. My concern is the pain. Still is tremendous discomfort. I will go and grab the antibiotic and hope for some relief. Thank you.
Yes, I think that would be the first concern.If, for some reason it does not relieve pain sufficiently - "do" call your Dentist, who should feel essentially obligated to prescribe something different for you that does work better.I hope you are feeling better & soon!
I do hope you are getting some needed relief?