Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

The upper bone on the upper left side of my teeth hurt to touch.

Customer Question

the upper bone on the upper left side of my teeth hurt to touch. what can this be?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 6 months ago.
Hello there, Pain at the bone (alveolar) that is painful to touch can be many things. Is there swelling or damage to any of your teeth near the area of the painful bone ? Is there anything visibly different ? if so you may want to send a picture that I can review for you. Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

seems when i rub my finger on it from top to bottom, feels less slippery then the other ones, feels like rougher.

Hello, If the gum tissue feels rougher and it is painful it's likely that the gum tissue that covers your alveolar bone has been irritated or injured. This can happen from overly hot or spicy food, injury from eating something sharp or hard (such as a tortilla chip), or possibly a minor bacterial or fungal issue. The roughness may be the injured or healing tissue. But, based on your description, if there is no noticeable swelling or discoloration, this is not likely a serious issue. If there is no swelling the pain and underlying cause should heal on it's own within ten days. If swelling arises, the pain increases or persists beyond ten days it would be wise to seek an in office exam with your dentist. For gum irritation there are two simple procedures that you can do at home which are often helpful :1. Rinsing with a cup or warm water with a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it.2 Getting some 3% Hydrogen peroxide solution (in the brown bottle) at the drugstore. Mixing the solution 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide with 3 parts water. Rinsing the affected area for about twenty seconds periodically over the next day. This can significantly reduce inflammation if it is present. Ibuprophen (Advil) is effective for reducing not only pain, but inflammation of gum tissue also (Unlike Tylenol, which is not an anti-inflammatory).Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. If not, I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here. Be well, Dr Shernan