Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

My gum on top of my back molar is giving me excruciating pain

Customer Question

my gum on top of my back molar is giving me excruciating pain nothing helps
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Top of gum seems very sore constant throbbing pai
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 10 months ago.
Hello there, Is the affected area the gum tissue behind or partially covering the your back molar ? And is it swollen ? Generally swollen, painful tissue at the back of (or partially covering) the last molar is a sign of inflammation and infection known as "pericoronitis" If this is the case, antibiotic prescription may be required. It would obviously be wise to call your dentist as soon as possible for evaluation. In the interim, for painful, swollen and possibly infected gums I would recommend Ibuprophen (Advil) which is both an analgesic for pain relief and an anti-inflammatory for the painful inflammation of your gums. In addition, rinsing with a cup of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of salt can be helpful. But often, the most helpful over the counter treatment to reduce inflammation and pain is to get some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution at the drug store. Mix the solution 1 part with three parts water. And dip your toothbrush in the solution and brush the affected area gently, You can also rinse with the mixture for 20 seconds and repeat periodically. This technique if often very effective in relieving the inflammation until you can see your dentist.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort.Be well,Dr Shernan
As mentioned, the gum pain is likely due to infection. The cause of the infection could be the molar tooth, as well as the gum issue I've described. Call your dentist as soon as you can.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort.Be well,Dr Shernan