Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have been old many times that I do not have wisdom teeth,

Customer Question

I have been old many times that I do not have wisdom teeth, yet, occasionally the gum behind my molars becomes swollen, puffy, and painful. I've used my Waterville, rinsed with salt water, taken pain meds, and used anbesol without much relief. I don't have a flap of skin where something might be stuck.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's been going on since Friday. What other details would be helpful?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 7 months ago.
Hello there, Even if you do not have wisdom teeth or an obvious flap of gingival tissue, you may have a "pocket" of tissue behind your second molars which catches debris and plaque and is prone to inflammation. This is fairly common. In addition to what you are doing it may be helpful to get some 3% hydrogen peroxide solution at the drugstore. Mix it 1 part solution with three parts water. Dip your toothbrush in the solution and gently brush the affected area. You can also rinse with it for about 20 seconds and spit out. This is quite often a remarkably helpful procedure at home to calm the inflammation. It would be wise to call and see your dentist as soon as you can for a deinitive diagnosis and treatment of your problem.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort.Be well,Dr Shernan
Do you need any additional information to answer your question ? I'm here to help - and happy to do so. If not, I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here. Be well,Dr Shernan