Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

10 days ago I a broken crown stump removed it was infected

Customer Question

10 days ago I a broken crown stump removed it was infected but not enough left to rebuild. My dentist says he can put a bridge in the gap.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes sorry went to quickly! the gap is next to my very front incisor my problem is my front tooth is extremely sensitive I can't bite with it and if I touch I can feel that too touching the gum around this tooth is painless ! The tooth the other side feels normal.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 6 months ago.
Hello there,There are a few possible causes for the pain at your central (front) incisor. It may be in "traumatic occlusion" (excessive contact with the tooth below). This can cause pain and inability to bite. It could be due to chronic increased biting because the lateral (removed stump) has been broken for a prolonged period - so more biting may take place on the central. It could also be a nerve problem with your central incisor. A dentist will determine if the front incisor (central) is a suitable abutment (support tooth) for the bridge with you. If the issue is simply pain, addressing the underlying cause (nerve or excess contact) will solve the problem and you can proceed with the bridge. The other alternatives include an implant or a removable single tooth partial denture.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort.Be well,Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't really understand your answer. My dentist has Done a post extraction X-ray which looks normal. I was offered antibiotics last week should I take them? Also if it's nerve pain is it ever going to settle!
Sorry. I know this can be confusing.Let me try to better explain as best I can. There may be too much contact on the front tooth as a result of the extraction. This can cause pain as you describe. If you feel like the front tooth touches more than before that is likely your problem - hyperocclusion - or excess contact and pressure. If too much contact on the tooth is the issue it can be adjusted to relieve the pain fairly simply. However, if the nerve of the front tooth is inflamed (less likely), it may reverse over a couple of weeks - or it may not "settle" - and a root canal could be necessary. As I mentioned, that seems like a less likely cause of the pain. It is possible that neither of these issues would be visible on the xray your dentist took. If you need additional information to answer your question let me know. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort.Be well,Dr Shernan