Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

White tongue, white bumps that look like pimples. Sore throat

Customer Question

White tongue, white bumps that look like pimples. Sore throat and kind of like some pus like coating over tongue and in back of throat. Very painful hard to swallow. Running fever
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 6 months ago.
Hello there, A whitish appearance on the tongue can be common symptom of many issues.Your white tongue is apparently symptomatic of a more generalized underlying medical condition. There are multiple possible causes - most are bothersome, but not serious. Nevertheless, it is clear that, given your symptoms (including fever - fairly important), your underlying issue should be evaluated by your physician to definitively determine & treat the underlying cause. To clarify, while white-ish appearance ("pus-like") of the tongue can be indicative of many (mostly harmless) conditions, the fact that, in addition, you are running a fever, suggests that it would be wise to seek the advice and diagnosis and treatment of your physician. This is because you have an apparent generalized infection, whether a minor viral infection or something different - that should be treated. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here. Be well, Dr Shernan