Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I am having a top right back tooth pain, it hurt if i bite

Customer Question

I am having a top right back tooth pain, it hurt if i bite doen
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: I am having top back right tooth pain, it hurts when i bite down , Can it be my wisdom teeth?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Dentist before I connect you two?
Customer: it seems sore and a little pain when i bite down on it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can it be my wisdom teeth ?
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 10 months ago.
Hello there, Sorry to hear you're in pain - Pain on biting could be one of several issues. 1. If your wisdom tooth is partially erupted but tissue covers a portion of it you may be biting on the tissue when you close. That is often the cause of such pain.1. If your wisdom tooth is impacted and has wedged the next tooth so that the next tooth is a bit higher than before that could also cause the pain.3. If you have an infection in a tooth - or have accidentally traumatized it by biting too hard or a blow to your mouth or jaw,, swelling in the socket will push the tooth up a bit and create pain when biting.4. If a filling was recently placed that is too high (excess filling material), you may experience pain on biting. The most likely reason is a wisdom tooth problem. That should be ruled out first with an xray at your dentist's office. He or she will evaluate you and definitively determine the cause of your pain. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I would very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here. be well, Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok i hate the dentist should i wait to see if the pain goes away
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it also hurt to open my mouth wide
Hello there, If the pain is minor, I would recommend waiting one week and avoiding pressure or hot foods on the area. If the pain remains or worsens after one week it would be wise to see your dentist. If opening your mouth wide is painful it seems more likely that your issue is either a wisdom tooth problem or "clenching" or grinding habit which can occur during sleep - often during periods of stress. If the latter is the problem, your dentist may recommend making an appliance to wear at night which is worn to alleviate the pain.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I would very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can i do or take anything for the pain ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
gargle with salt water
Hello there, Gargling with warm water and a teaspoon of salt will help if the tissue is inflamed. Rinsinsing or gently brushing with a solution of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide mixed 1 : 3 (three parts water to one part Peroxide) can also ease tissue inflammation. Rinse or brush for no more than about 15 seconds. And discontinue use if you find the solution irritating. Ibupropohen (Advil) is very good - not only for reducing pain, but reducing inflammation and promoting healing. But do see a dentist if the pain persists or worsens.Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I would very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan
Hello,I've done my best to answer your question to the best of my ability. I would very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.Be well,Dr Shernan