Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

Believe I have an abcess where can I go now ?

Customer Question

Believe I have an abcess where can I go now for relief ?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 6 months ago.
Hi, for a dental abscess you will need to see a dentist for relief. If that is not possible then an urgent care center or emergency room visit would be needed to at least get an antibiotic for the infection. The antibiotics for dental infections is either Amoxicillin 500mg or Clindamycin 300mg. These are the two drugs of choice for this problem. Warm salt water rinses are also great to do: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Do not out any heat on the outside of your face. For pain you can alternate every 3-4 hours between 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg). Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. The best thing would be to see a dentist as soon as you can. If you need more information please let me know. Please remember to accept my response so that I credit for doing it. Thanks and good luck.
Hi, did you need more information?