Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Yesterday at 8pm. I noticed I had some staining on my teeth.

Customer Question

Yesterday at 8pm. I noticed I had some staining on my teeth. I read on pinterest that I could rinse with peroxide after brushing to help take the stains away. After I spit out the peroxide, I noticed my gums were turning white. I panicked and began rinsing, and brushing very harshly to get the white off. Then I noticed my gums were red, slightly bleeding, and seemed to be peeling. I'm even more panicked. I have a call into my dentist, but I'm rinsing my mouth with salt water each time I eat. I'm only drinking water. Is this something I should worry about? Do I need treatment or should I give my gums time to recover before doing anything? Please help!
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It does not hurt to eat or drink. I do not believe my gums are receding because I figure I would have noticed that prior to this incident. Also, prior to this my gums were not bleeding when I would brush and only occasionally slightly bleed when I would floss.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.
The peroxide can sometimes cause some tissue burn if left in contact with the gums repeatedly or for an extended time.This will heal on its own.These are superficial burns and are not deep.Fortunately,the tissues of the mouth are constantly sloughing cells and regenerating new cells.You do not need to worry.Try to keep off of the peroxide for a bit.,an when you use it again,try to limit the time of exposure to just 30 seconds .You do not need to worry,the gums will correct themselves in a day or two.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.
Is there any other information that you need?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I noticed today when I brushed my teeth after breakfast the areas of the gums that were burnt were bleeding. Is this typical?My gums are still red and peeling, should I continue to use the salt water as a preventive to infection?Should I make an appointment if this is not cleared up by friday?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.
There is very little chance of infection.New epithelial tissue will form over these areas in a couple of days.Just try not to rub or abrade the areas and they will heal on their own.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.
Please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.
How are the gums looking today?