Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

I am 59 year old male and going to have a scaling done first t

Customer Question

I am 59 year old male and going to have a scaling done for the first time in 30 years. I am concerned about the healing part since i have missing number 18? upper and 2 teeth behind it that has a slight lean forward. I would like to know what vitamins or what supplement or what prescription i can ask for that can help grow and strengthen my gums? I plan to do implant or a bridge early next year in that gap. Dentist prefer a implant because they do not want to grind the forward teeth.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 6 months ago.
Hello there, The key to maintaining periodontal health - and dental health in general, is good oral hygiene practices at home. Brushing at least twice per day, preferable after each time you eat, is very important Using a good quality electric brush, such as an Oral B or Sonicare, is very helpful to maintaining healthy gingiva (gums) and teeth. Flossing is essential - without flossing, plaque and debris remains in between the teeth and causes gingivitis which can lead to bone loss. It's important to eat a well balanced diet to insure that all the necessary vitamins and nutrients are available to your body. Vitamin C and the B complex vitamins are particularly important to your periodontal health. Perhaps consider taking a daily Vitamin supplement. generally, once a proper scaling and prophylaxis is done, a prescription is not necessary - just good homecare. if you follow your dentist's instructions, your oral health will be good. Implants are a good option - that would be the best choice imo. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. that is how I am paid for my work here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I know all that. You are referring me back to my doctor while I am trying to go one step beyond asking what OTC or prescription items, foods or vitamins or supplements can help grow gums or strengthen gums to quickly fill in the gaps that the scaling will create? I want something beyond the tooth paste, antiseptic mouthwash, flossing or water pik answer which are a given.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what I am looking for is something I can do now and before the scaling to accelerate the healing and possibly the growth and strengthening process. I already do daily vitamins, and water pik and brush.
Hello there, From your description.y ou're currently doing all of the correct things to optimize healing and health of your periodontal tissues before the scaling. And you're aware of the things that I've mentioned - which is good.There may be additional medications and procedures that would be beneficial, but I'm unaware of them. Perhaps another dentist in the JA community can offer additional suggestions. So I'll open the question to others. Best of luck with your treatment. Dr shernan
Best of luck with your treatment.Dr shernan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Attention monitor Remove this question now.TO: Monitor, managers and JA executivesMy comment on this.Surprise that there was no dentist that can answer a simple question. Do they all live in bubble? There are steriods that help grow muscle. Their are proteins that give energy to muscles. Yet there is not one dentist in JA that has never looked into and medical OTC or prescription items..... or natural food or vitamins......or even physical therapy such as soft brushing, smiling, frowning or a gum massage that has proven to help. is there a dentist that treated a patient that had broken jaw or had root canal or bone graft?There are tooth pastes and Gums that contain xylitol, there are homeopathic possibilities and there may be physical therapy given to people that help recover from broken jaws or mouth cancer....yet no dentist would step forward to give an professional opinion based on medical article they have read.Clients of JA have to click the I agree statement before receiving answers to certain professionals.I am so may other people that pay $40 a month subscription and I leave a 20% tip most of the time deserve better .Do these pros think they can get away with just writing back with useless response and expect a tip or get paid by JA?I pay $40 a month so I dont have to rely answers from just a google search by some company trying to sell quackery.Where are the JA managers that over see the sometimes vague or ridiculous answers.I would like a response back from a JA manager and how about a JA executive?I made copy of the above and not afraid to share my experience.