Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I got a root canal that infected half my face is swollen

Customer Question

hi I got a root canal that infected half my face is swollen ive taken antibiotics and two perocets and still in pain should I go er
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 8 months ago.
So very sorry to hear of your swelling & pain!I'll send this to you & keep on typing -OK?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

hello

The initial response is to want to go to the ER for the mere fact that where else, at this time of night can I go or what can I do? The "real" problem with an ER visit, is they (98% of the hospitals) do NOT have Dentists to assist you, and so all they can do is prescribe antibiotics and pain meds - something you already have. And your taking a strong pain med, so there is little chance you'll be able to get anything stronger, without a very severe problem & being admitted. That means costs increase exponentially of course. So, while you indeed ask a very good question, unfortunately, there is not a superb answer that eradicates your problems which you are having right at this moment. Do you suppose you could try to hang tough and somehow get some sleep, and see your Dentist tomorrow? Additionally, tonight you could try an ice pack (ziploc bag with ice and some liquid, and wrapped with a thin sheet between the cold pack & your face to buffer the extreme cold)? It can & does help. A miracle cure all? No, but perhaps it may help, and coupled with getting some sleep, tomorrow you could then see your Dentist... Lastly, summarizing, you could go to the ER. I just (sadly so) hate to tell you to, as I think it won't help, and will cost you both time & money. Does the above make sense? Dr. Rampton
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I tried getting to see endontist all day today not were available within 50 mile radius what can a regular dentist do to stop pain tomorrow cause I don't no if I\ll be able to get endontist tomorrow?

So, have you just had a root canal done, which thereafter swelled up?orAre you just aware that you are in need of a root canal?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ya went to dentist today said had infected tooth need root canal she said Itomorrow if cant get endontist she could do something what is that she can do?

A General (regular) Dentist can easily begin and even complete a root canal. Many General Dentists do root canals, especially in the front 10 upper and lower 10 teeth - which are easier to get assess to.What the General Dentist tomorrow will do, is: numb you, "open and drain" the tooth infection/swollen area. This is often part #1 of the two appointment part of a root canal. It is the part which gets your body to start getting reduction in swelling & pain relief. It's what you need. And whether your General Dentist does it or the Endodontist - both can & do perform it. It's not difficult, are numb and you will get RELIEF!
Does that make sense? It is an appointment that you should actually look forward to! As it can & often does bring relief quite readily...
How are you doing? Can you perhaps try an ice pack and perhaps try to sleep this night away till tomorrow? Sorry, I know you are hurting and all. It's just your options are limited with no Dental offices open -
Are you still there?