Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

About 4 months ago I noticed that on a particular spot on the

Customer Question

About 4 months ago I noticed that on a particular spot on the upper right gum 3 teeth from the front high up from the tooth that was sore only to touch. I went to the dentist twice..... nothing showed up on the x-rays at all... he gave me an antibiotic..... I came a few weeks later....... still nothing on x-ray but still sore to touch.... went to periodontist...... saw nothing..... said to just keep monitoring it..... now 4 months later......still the same..... a small lump only sore to the touch
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Anything else I can tell the Dentist before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 8 months ago.
Hello there, If you have had a small lump that is sore and it has remained so for four months I think it is time and would be wise to have a more definitive diagnosis and treatment plan. While it is not likely serious, it is always best to be cautious after a reasonable amount of time. And a four month period - with antibiotic treatment - is certainly a reasonable amount of time in my opinion. I would suggest getting a referral to an oral surgeon for a consult. He or she may be in better position to offer a definitive diagnosis. If the oral surgeon is uncertain of the nature of the sore lump, a minor surgical procedure with a biopsy may be recommended. Again, this is not likely a serious issue. But I think that after four months of soreness with no definitive diagnosis, an oral surgeon consult would be very prudent. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I would very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here. Be well, Dr Shernan