khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I have been sick with fever and white white count, ruled out

Customer Question

I have been sick with fever and white white count, ruled out sinuses, put no augmetin, and fever and white count down, they think tooth, went to endo dentist said several top teeth are dead, they said either from Sjogrens, or long term antibiotics, and steriods making the infections. He said todat that dead teeth still produce bacteria into the blood and that makes you sick. I am worried because I can't get them pulled for like 10 days, does that seems safe if I am on the 2nd antibiotic? I have sjogrens and lupus and even on the augmentin very sick and run down.
Category: Dental
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Diego, experienced Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concerns. Having a tooth infection with elevated white count and fevers is a serious problem. The best thing to do is to remove the teeth because they are the cause of the infection. While you have the teeth in place you are at increase risk of future or worse infections. It's not safe to keep the teeth if you are already on treatment and not improving. You are at risk of developing a serious infection. The ultimate treatment is to remove the teeth; the sooner, the better. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am having them all pulled in 10 days...would dead teeth cause infection to be in blood, I am on antibitotic and white count went down, doc says it just keeping infection down, I still feel sick.

Yes the dead teeth can cause infection to be in blood. Antibiotics can control the infection. However the cure is to remove the teeth.The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, so you think I would feel sick till the remove the teeth? Would being on long term antibiotic and steroids, suppress an infection and allow the teeth to die?

You will feel sick until you remove the teeth. The long term antibiotic and steroids will not suppress the infection and will not allow the teeth to die. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, sorry, so you disagree, you don't think steroids and antibiotics that I have been on constantly for years would cover an infection, and mask it? 2 dentists have said it could?

If you had an infection for years most likely not. Antibiotics and steroids are a good initial approach. However if you persist with the symptoms and infection, then you need to look for the source of the problem.The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry but I am not understanding-I have been on steroids and antibiotics for 10 years, my doctor and dentist's think the teeth died slowly, while I have been on these drugs, and the drugs masked and treated the infection enough, but the teeth eventually died- do you not agree that that could happen?

That could happen. But if you have a persistent infection is better to remove the teeth. The treatment changes with time accordingly to the results. I can not agree or disagree with decisions that were made on a different scenario and time. Sometimes not all the treatments or approaches work the way we want.
The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I understand I have to lose my teeth. I have said that. I am asking if they could have died the way I asked, it is very odd to go in and have 4-5 teeth with no response to cold or electric, so I am just asking if it seems teeth could die while on long term steroids and abkitobitocs??

Yes they could. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, would I feel sick during that time too, like when they were dying?

Yes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

You have repeated the same answer to me, and not been very good at explain or saying what is normal and what is not. When someone is facing losing all there teeth it would be nice to explain and try to make someone understand your answer and not have to have them re ask it over and over.

Hello. I'm going to opt out. Other physicians can help you with better information.
Expert:  khagihara replied 8 months ago.
Prolonged use of steroids may increase the incidence of secondary infection, mask acute infection.
Also it may make bones weak (osteoporosis).
If there is a focus of the infection in the teeth, you will be recovered from the infection after they are removed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** think long term steroid and antibiotics would mask the infections and let teeth die slowly, I am down to 10 mg of steroids, from 30-40 for years for lupus and sjogrens. I am doing program for my bones, but I started feeling very sick, with high white count and fever and my tooth started aching, then the endo tested and said like 4-5 teeth are dead. So you think I would have felt sick during the time infections was masked because bacteria was seeping into blood and still sick, because dead teeth release bacteria?

Also sjogrens may cause decay of teeth because of enough saliva.
Yes, the bacteria from the teeth can get into the blood stream, which makes you sick.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes I know I have had sjogrens, very aggressive since I was 30, now I am 52, and have had many lost teeth and issues over the years.

My ??? is

-Do you think those drugs could have masked infections and allowed teeth to die? I mean I have not felt great for a few years and now much worse, like an active infection is happening and my white count and fever started so they put me on different antibiotics, since I had been on the other for 10 years and they said it prob does not work anymore.

The antibiotics might mask the infection until the infection became worse.
The antibiotics might have masked it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

And dead teeth would make me sick, do they all make people sick?

If they are infected with bacteria and bacteria gets into the blood,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

can they not be infected? they said dead teeth produce bacteria.

No, bacteria entered from your mouth.
into the teeth.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

so dead teeth don't produce bacteria? I am confused the said they did?

No. But bacteria is easy to grow in the dead teeth.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

They said the dead teeth cause bacteria and assesses, are you a doctor?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

They said the dead teeth cause bacteria and abbsesses, are you a doctor?

Yes, I am. They are wrong. Anyway you have infection in your teeth.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry you think an endo doc and dentist and my doctor are all wrong that dead teeth harbor infections?

Death teeth are infected with bacteria from the mouth and abscess is formed in the death teeth. So what is your question for your problem?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

you said the bacteria come from my mouth not the dead teeth?

Yes. Bacteria can easily enter decayed teeth. Let's go forward. What is your question for your problem?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

oh I see so that can go in there and not live teeth?

much easier than healthy teeth.
What is your main question you want to know? Is that your main question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I see so they give them a place to dwell?

Yes. There are a lot of food for them in there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Got it I understand now, sorry, thanks

You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Take care.