Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

What happens if my BP is 150/110 and I get an extraction done?

Customer Question

what happens if my BP is 150/110 and I get an extraction done?
JA: The Dentist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: what are the risk factors / what can happen after extraction?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Dentist before I connect you two?
Customer: that is all for now
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when will my question be answered
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 8 months ago.
Hello there, Are you currently taking medication for your blood pressure ? Dr Shernan
Hello again, It's always best to have your blood pressure controlled by medication if necessary so that is lower than your current level for short and long term health. But the The American Dental Association recommends 180 /110 as the cutoff for urgent treatment. So your extraction would likely be performed, and safely. It is important to advise your dentist regarding your elevated BP. He will use a different anesthetic than the one he typically uses. This is because the typical anesthetic used has epinephrine as an ingredient. Epinephrine can enhance the length of time an anesthetic is effective. But it can also raise BP. There are very effective, alternative anesthetics, such as Carbocaine, which do not contain epinephrine. This would be a good choice for you. Pleas ask if you need any additional information to answer your question. Otherwise i would very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work. Be well, Dr shernan.
Do you need additional information to answer your question ? If not I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work.Be well,Dr Shernan