Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

Dull pain in ear and lower jaw and alot of sinus three weeks

Customer Question

Dull pain in ear and lower jaw and alot of sinus three weeks after extraction. also still some hard chip on edge of hole
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

Would you happen to have a picture you can upload ?

Dr Shernan

Hello again,

If you still have significant pain three weeks after your tooth was extracted, there is apparently a healing problem. There are several possibilities, but the hard chip at the edge of the hole suggests that some bone may still be exposed. This can be due to a couple of things. It is possible that the clot was dislodged from the extraction site, slowly healing and causing pain (dry socket). You may actually be feeling the bone of the extraction site. The other possibility is that there is a small piece of bone known as a "spicule" that is working its way through the tissue, which is fairly common. In any event, I would recommend that you call your dentist and consult with him or her regarding your symptoms. Healing does not generally tale this long and it is important to discover the underlying cause so that healing can be completed and you can regain your comfort quickly.

Let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. if not, a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort - that's how I am paid for my work.

Be well,

Dr Shernan