Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I need some help, few years off and on I have a tooth on the

Customer Question

I need some help, for a few years off and on I have a tooth on the upper left side that will hurt for a few days and then I can go weeks and be fine, I can't eat anything cold or sweet on that side. I went to the dentist a few months ago and I was supposed to go back to see a endodontist I think to see if I need root canal and I never went back but I have an appointment Monday to see the endodontist, also when I had gone to the dentist I was having issues with my tongue being inflamed on both sides and feeling raw and sore, I'm worried that this is something really bad!! I am a smoker with bad anxiety for which I'm on Zoloft for. Can someone help me with this??!!!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 8 months ago.

Hi Adam,

From your description, the intermittent pain from your upper left tooth and the inflammation and soreness on your tongue re two separate issues. It is extremely unlikely that either issue is related to your smoking. Please don't be anxious over your symptoms - neither sound serious.

The issue with your tooth should be evaluated by an endodontist. If you have had intermittent pain for several weeks or more it is possible that you will need a root canal to relieve the pain and be comfortable. Root canal is a simple procedure. A good endodontist can comfortably complete the procedure under local anesthetic in about one hour. It should be a piece of cake for you. There may be minor discomfort for a few days. Afterwards, the pain in your tooth should be gone.

There are many reasons why your tongue may be sore.It may be due to accidental "chewing" on your tongue - very common. Other typical reasons are acidic or spicy foods, heat burn, mechanical trauma, for example, vigorous brushing, and many more. But, even though the soreness is bothersome, it's very unlikely that this is at all serious. Many people who smoke are understandably anxious that there tongue issue is a sign of cancer. Your description does not resemble such a serious issue in any way.

I would suggest making an appointment for follow up and having your dentist discuss and perhaps schedule a root canal so that you can be comfortable again. While you are there, he can evaluate your tongue abd advise you specifically. You will be fine.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answe your question. If not a positive rating would be much appreciated - that's how we're paid for our work.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I went to the dentist a few months ago he said he didn't see anything that looked cancerous

Hi Adam,

That makes sense - whatever is causing your tongue discomfort will be determined when you have your tooth pain addressed. I'm confident it's not serious.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. If not a positive rating would be much appreciated - that's how we're paid for our work.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

i am so worried that i will go in on monday and it will be something really bad!!

You've explained that you're prone to anxiety - I'm truly sorry and wish I could help. Perhaps seek counseling from a suitable provider ?

I'm a dentist - and an experienced one. I can offer you information regarding your dental health - and I'm happy to do so. And, while I cannot prevent you from worrying I can assure you that there is no basis for your concern. See your dentist. He will treat your issues and I'm confident you will be fine. Try to avoid unnecessary anxiety.

Please let me know if you need any additional specific information to answer your question. If not a positive rating would be much appreciated - that's how we're paid for our work effort.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Is the issues I have explained with my tongue, are they happening due to the issue with my teeth and tooth?

I do not believe they are related. I believe they are separate issues. The tongue issue is likely a minor issue and can be specifically explained when you have your appointment for your tooth.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

What if the tongue issue is something bad??!!

Hello,,

The are many possibilities - far too many to address. One can spend time worrying needlessly - or not. It's a choice. But, as I said, the possibility of the tongue issue being bad is incredibly slim.

It is simply not worth dwelling upon. When you have your appointment for your tooth pain, it will specifically explained and treated accordingly - if any treatment is needed at all. It may well resolve on its own.

Be well - not anxious,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I read about diseases in your mouth and some of the symptoms I have

Hello again,

It will not be helpful for you to look for similarities to illnesses that you very likely do not have. I have answered your question to the best of my ability. So I will opt out of this question. Perhaps another doctor can be of some additional help to you.

Best of luck with your dental treatment.

Be well,

Dr shernan