Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I need a new upper denture...i cannot wear the current one

Customer Question

i need a new upper denture...i cannot wear the current one because i have lost alot of bone in that area...i also need 4 crowns on the bottom teeth....i asked my dentist if he could make the upper denture right away because i have no teeth to wear but, he is insisting on doing the crown work on the bottom teeth first before he makes me a new upper denture and he thinks it's ok for me to wait a few weeks for the upper denture work to be done...i dissagree with this..i need upper teeth right now not in 6 weeks?....what is this guy thinking??
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 8 months ago.

Hello there,

It is much better to make an upper denture after there is a full compliment of teeth on the bottom for several reasons. But perhaps the most important is this : Without a full compliment of teeth on the bottom, an upper denture will be unstable - it will dislodge and drop as you bite together. In addition, it is not possible to accurately make a denture to fit crowns on the bottom teeth which have yet to be made. so, ideally, the crowns probably should be done first. However, if this means that you would need to wait a long period of time being unable to eat because your old top denture doesn't fit, it may be worth doing as you suggest : Fabricating a new top denture first and approximating the "occlusion" (biting shape) of the future crowns. It can be done. And perhaps, in your case, it should/ I would certainly discuss this with your dentist.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Hi there,

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating for my effort would be much appreciated - that is how we are paid for our work.

Be well,

Dr Shernan