Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

After getting a root canal I began to have tinnitus. ssing

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: After getting a root canal I began to have tinnitus. Hissing began right during the treatment, subsided for several days then came back gradually and has been constant. Also have a funny feeling in the eye near the root canal afterwards. Can this be a result of the dental work?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

I think that the first part of your query was not posted on here for some reason.

Can you please elaborate your question a little more for me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
JA, I had two root canals done right next to each other. Upper left molars. The dentist was filing into the tooth very hard. He couldn't get into the tooth deep enough so he put the file on the end of a hemostat and began thrusting deeper into the tooth. All of a sudden I felt a very strong electrical shock like lightening shoot up into my face, ear, eye and into my head. I yelled out and jumped up from it. The dentist then took a syringe and pushed it all the way up into the tooth to inject an anesthetic. Of course the left side of my face felt paralyzed. I heard a hissing sound almost immediately but it faded after a while. After a day or two I began to experience an intermittent high whistle sound. Now I have a very loud constant high pitched sound 24/7. It never goes away. My left eye also feels as if it protrudes out more than the right one although there is nothing noticeable. Could the dental procedure have caused this? Can you be specific please? PS. I have already paid with paypal. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your detailed response.

How long has it been in total since you are having the tinnitis and the hissing?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hissing was a few days, then intermittent sound that has been permanent for 2 1/2 years now.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.

Yes, it can be the result of dental work, which can disrupt the temporal bone, which then disrupts the eutachean tube function.

YOu need to go immediately do a cranial osteopath, a doctor of osteopathy who does hands on manipulation.

They fix the skull bone movements.

One list can be found here.

Your doctor also needs to rule out infection.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dr. Thomas,Could this dental work cause any damage to the nerves in the ear, eye, or face?

Usually only irritation

please click a positive, then find me as needed.