Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

My name is ***** ***** and my gums bleed when I suck on

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my gums bleed when I suck on them. I tend to suck my teeth and hold a tight ligature in my mouth almost all day. The dentist said I have great oral care and my gums don't bleed when flossing or brushing. Sometimes I wake up to an irony taste in my mouth like I had been feeding like a vampire while asleep. I don't know what it could be since my dentist wasn't alarmed. I just want answers.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is quite a lot of blood when I suck on my teeth. The two molars in from my canine teeth on both sides
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dentist visit said oral health is great. Bone density was good. Gums were good. Just still bleeds when I suck on my teeth. Horrible problem I cannot correct and the habit as well.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you have a lot of blood vessels in your gums.

sucking on your teeth can cause you to suck blood from your own gums.

you need to stop sucking on your teeth as a bad habit.

this taste of iron is from you sucking blood from your teeth and gums.

I bet you are swallowing blood and this is probably turning your stools tar black.

you might need to see a psychotherapist to help you take steps to stop sucking on your teeth as a habit.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know I have this habit and issue going on. I am aware of it and consciously do it less. Thus mentioning it in my question...Not only do i feel more insignificant than when i resorted to this website, but i feel that i have not been a swered in my underlying cause for concern I would like to see if another expert could assist me please.

Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.

Well it may be due to your habit patterns but if gums should bleed too easily then things to consider for a tendency to bleed too easily may be checked ---

Bleeding due to coagulation factors may be checked -- PROTIME / aPTT/ platelets / bleeding time / and check for vitamin C deficiency

Checking your blood for anemia and iron deficiency can also help determine if you are losing any significant amount of blood ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD