Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Dr. Katz, I have been having severe tooth pain few months

Customer Question

Dr. Katz,
I have been having severe tooth pain for a few months now but it has been very on and off. My bottom right wisdom tooth has an extreme cavity that has made a pretty deep hole in it. Some days are better than others. The tooth pain lead to some severe headaches and now cloudiness, pressure, and sinus problems. The worst of the pressure is a few inches above the top of my nose. I went to the oral surgeon today and he is taking out my wisdom teeth in a few weeks. All this brain infection stuff freaKs me out because I have been confused or slow lately from the pressure in my head. Should I be concerned? My surgeon gave me penicillin. Thanks!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.

Your bottom wisdom tooth would have no effect on your sinus or the headaches that you are describing. I cannot comment on your other wisdom teeth or their need for extraction without seeing a copy of the xrays.Neither of the four wisdom tooth would effect anything that is happening near your nose.There could be many causes for that but your wisdom teeth are not one of them.If you have been given penicillin for a tooth infection,you are on the correct antibiotic.You should be taking 500 mg four times a day.It is almost impossible to get a brain infection from an infected tooth.It is possible but highly unlikely.Pressure in your head and confusion are not related to any of your teeth.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.

If you would like to upload a copy of the xray,I would be glad to look at it for you.Signing off for tonight, will look for your response in the morning.