Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had my top molar extracted almost 2 weeks ago and the

Customer Question

Hi I had my top molar extracted almost 2 weeks ago and the molar next to the extracted site is thriving/aching - I did have 4 sutures as the dentist had to take a lot my bone as I had a curved root and my tooth was very strong. Is this normal?
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: The tooth that's paining does have a amalgam filling although I doubt that should make a difference
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.

There are two reasons why you are having pain in the tooth next to the extraction site.One is the fact that if the extraction was difficult,there is going to be added inflammation in the socket and the surrounding area.The other thing that is happening is that the tooth next to the site has started to drift and is causing a hyperocclusion of the tooth caused by the opposing tooth hitting it too hard.This is accentuated by the inflammation from the socket making the adjacent tooth sit slightly out of the socket causing your bite to be off and you are hitting the adjacent tooth too hard. A simple and quick way to get some relief would be to return to your dentist and have him adjust your bite.This takes about 5 seconds by buffing a fraction of a millimeter off of the cusp of the opposing tooth.You will get immediate relief.In the meantime,600 mg of ibuprofen is a good anti-inflammatory that can keep the pain down taken every 4-6 hours.The pain is coming from the periodontal ligament around the adjacent tooth and not the tooth itself.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 months ago.

Is there any other information that you need?