Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

I have 2 really bad teeth that are causing excruciating

Customer Question

I have 2 really bad teeth that are causing excruciating pain. Dentist referred me to have them pulled but I have to wait another week. She put me in zpac and told me to take ibuprofen and tylenol nothing works. I also have bad stuff neck and numbness and tingling in lips and around mouth. Is this from teeth being bad I hope?
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: Not really
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.

Do you have any swelling right now? Which teeth are the ones that need to be extracted in other words ,where are they in your mouth? How long ago did you start the Zpak? Are you allergic to anything?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.

Do you still need help?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 months ago.

I have not seen any response and I need some information from you to give you a proper answer. I am going to sign off for the night so I will just give you some information that may help.The antibiotic that you are taking is not the one of choice.You should be either on Clindamycin ,Penicillin or amoxicillin.It takes at least 48 hours for the effects of the antibiotics to be seen.If you are swollen,compression on the nerves in the area could cause numbness and tingling on the lips.The other thing that can cause this is allergic responses to medicines.If you are swollen,you will need to have the antibiotic changed to the proper one and get the teeth extracted ASAP.The antibiotics alone will not cure a tooth infection.You can rinse with some strong salt water or hydrogen peroxide to help remove the debris blocking the canals in the tooth to provide drainage to give some relief.Alternating 1000 mg of tylenol with 400 mg of ibuprofen every four hours is the best over the counter combination that can work.If you can't reach your dentist,urgent care centers can provide the proper antibiotic and a narcotic pain medication that will relieve the pain but they will not provide any dental treatment.I will look for your response in the morning.Meanwhile I hope that you feel better soon.Let me know if you need anything else.