Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

When getting implants, what is the proper procedure

Customer Question

When getting implants, what is the proper procedure for a dentist--is there a special guide to use? My dentist told me he was placing it via experience and the xray but there was no guide ever made. I have had one implant placed and have to have three more and I am nervous. All molars in the bottom of my mouth. Also--if this method is hooey, and I should change dentists now, would changing the dentist be okay at this point? He is an Aspen oral surgeon. Thank you SM
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 8 months ago.
Hello there – when implants our place sometimes guides known as students are used. Other times they are not used and not necessary. It depends what anatomic features exist in the area of the implant being placed. If you're concerned about the qualifications of this dentist I think it's perfectly acceptable to get a second opinion. It would also be wise to inquire about the extent of this Aspen dental experience. How many implants has he done etc. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question I'm here to help. Be well – Dr. Shernan

Hello - autocorrect on my ipad caused a misspelling : The guides are known as "stents", not "students". Also, the more implants that are being placed, the more helpful it is in general to use a stent, or guide, for proper placement.

If you have not begun the implant treatment there is no reason why you couldn't get a second opinion and change dentists if you were more comfortable with another.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question.

If not,a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan.

Please let me know if you need additional information. I'm here to help -and happy to do so. If nit I'd appreciate positive rating.

Thanks,

Dr Shernan