Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand

I was charged $4800 braces. my dentist stated I would have

Customer Question

I was charged $4800 for wire braces. my dentist stated I would have to wear the braces for 2 years. The dentist was paid in full through care credit card. after almost 7 months he removed my braces and said we were finished. He put a set of four permanent braces on the bottom teeth on the inside. now I am left with a bill of $2400 and am not going to see the any longer for this issue. he didn't even treat me for at least half the time originally agreed upon. is this normal? I feel like he just didn't continue the service. In the beginning he told me if I got the braces off too soon, my teeth would move back to the way they were?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 7 months ago.

Hello there,

It is surprising that the orthodontist originally predicted a two year treatment timeline and ended up removing the braces after only 7 months. But if your teeth have sufficiently moved and your alignment is now correct, they should remain in proper position as long as you wear your retainers as instructed. The biggest reason for teeth shifting back after orthodontic treatment is that people often don't wear the retainer. It is essential to wear the retainers so that the bone can complete the process of filling in around the teeth in their new position.

It would be fair to ask your orthodontist why treatment was so much shorter in duration than expected. And ask him if he feels that your teeth are in optimal alignment or could benefit from further time in braces.

But the bot***** *****ne is this : If you're teeth are now in optimal position they should remain in good alignment if you wear your retainers.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

FYI - placing the braces and retainer on the back of your lower front teeth is common practice. It's significantly increases the chances of your lower teeth remaining straight. But it does have its drawbacks as it makes keeping the back of your lower front teeth cleaned a bit more challenging. let me know if you need additional information to answer your question.
Dr. Shernan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cancelled already. Do no charge my account. I am not a member!

I am truly very sorry that you were apparently unsatisfied with my answer and did not feel a positive rating was warranted. I believe my answer represented a sound effort, was thorough, accurate and I offered additional information if you needed. But it is your decision. I wish you the best in your treatment and health.

Dr Shernan

Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 7 months ago.

Is there more specific information that I can help you with? Just ask away and I'll do my very best to explain.