Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

I have a painful ulcer that started several days ago and

Customer Question

I have a painful ulcer that started several days ago and then has progressed to what feels like an object protruding from it. It is swollen and painful in the region. It seems to be in the area of the mylohyoid line,
The reason I am asking online is that every dentist in the area is closed for spring break. I'd like to know a possible root cause and if this issue can wait for a week or if I should get urgent care.
Photos to better detail the issue below.
Contrasted photo with notes:
Same Photo Color:
Alt photo:
Entire lower mandible region:
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also note as far as dental issues I have never had any. Frequent cleanings every six months, no cavities and my wisdom teeth never came in.
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 7 months ago.

Hello there – from your description in the photos it appears that small sharp object has become embedded in the tissue possibly during eating. It also sounds similar to a small spicule a bone that has worked its way out of the gum tissue. But the latter would happen only following an extraction. I would recommend calling your dental office. Most offices have emergency phone numbers for treatment. It would probably be wise to have a dentist look at the area and remove the small hard piece of material to accelerate healing and get you comfortable sooner. Please let me know if you need additionalinformation to answer your question. Be well – Dr. Shernan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thanks, ***** ***** do not believe it was anything embedded while eating. The closest thing I have been able to find in an online journal is below.

Hello –. If you don't recall injuring the area during eating then it is likely a small piece of bone working it's way out of the tissue such as bone sequestration or a spicule. It begs the question why did this happen spontaneously. But regardless it would be wise to have a dentist remove the piece of material to promote healing. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise apposite rating would be much appreciated. Be well – Dr. Shernan