Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I am having severe pain in my front top tooth when it

Customer Question

Hi I am having severe pain in my front top tooth when it touches the bottom toot
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Came out of nowhere When my top tooth hits my bottom tooth I see stars
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 9 months ago.

Hello there,

When you slowly close your teeth together does the painful tooth contact first ?

Dr Shernan

Hello there,

When slight contact on a tooth causes severe pain, there are a few possible causes. The two most likely are :

1. An abscess that causes fluid buildup at the root tip. So when contact takes place, he pain is severe.

2. A cracked tooth - when a tooth is badly fractured, it may appear unchanged. But a person may experience severe pain when biting a specific, certain way.

If your pain is that severe, I'd certainly suggest calling your dentist for a consult.

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated. That's how we are paid for our work. Be well – Dr. Shernan

Hello again - From your description, you likely have inflammation and fluid around the rooth of your tooth causing pain when slight contact pressure is applied. It is possible that the tooth was traumatized by biting too hard. But it is more likely that you have a dental abscess or tooth fracture. I'd suggest an in office consult with your dentist.

Let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated. That's how we are paid for our work.

I hope you're 100% very soon.

Be well – Dr. Shernan