Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My son chews the inside of s mouth chronically (he is 20

Customer Question

my son chews the inside of his mouth chronically (he is 20 years old) and has been doing it for years. He used to only do it in his sleep, but now he catches himself doing it during the day. His mouth is always full of sores, and the inside of his bot***** *****p is so thick with scars it is bigger than it used to be, and full of scar tissue. His dentist has seen it and tried a mouth guard, but he takes it out in his sleep. He is in chronic pain. What type of doctor should he see for this disorder?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 8 months ago.

You ask a very good question. I've run into this only about 3 times previously.

Two of the three times, what we did seemed, per the patient and parent to work. The third time we used a more radical approach, which had a limited positive effect only.

Here is what we did: There is more than two brands, but the only two that comes to mind is "Mavala Stop" & "Stop it". Can get them at Walmart, Amazon, etc. It can be painted on the outside portion of the night guard and inside portion of the lips at night & tastes terrible!!! It HOPEFULLY would assist do the trick, or at least assist some minimally.

The worst case scenario, assuming the above method did not work sufficiently is: To have your Dentist or Oral Surgeon, have the teeth wired closed at night. This is much more involved. It also brings up problems with brushing/oral hygiene, and thus would require you having to have the wiring taken off and put back on periodically with brushing in between the rewiring. I do NOT recommend this latter choice - but it has been employed - at least for more involved and severe cases.

Use your judgement, but the easy & first choice, at least in my estimate, would be to try the bad tasing material for a couple weeks or so, or until the habit is broken...! I hope this this helps you. You sound like a very good Mom! Dr. Rampton