Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have several teeth that have broken off into the gum and

Customer Question

I have several teeth that have broken off into the gum and are rotting. They seem to rot from the inside out. I am a MOM of 4 and have a calcium defencicy. I have had a head ache that. Has been horrid my lymph nodes are swollen in front of my ear an my jaw pops every time I open my mouth. I've been on antibiotics for 4 days an the pain don't stop
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else important you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Dentist responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 9 months ago.

Hello there,

I'm sorry for your issue - and pain !

It's not unusual for teeth to decay "from the inside out". This is because the inner part of the tooth is "softer" - less calcium rich / mineralized than the outer enamel of the tooth. If your lymph nodes are swollen, you likely have infection. Antibiotics will likely reduce infection in most of your body and reduce your general health risk. But antibiotics will not stop pain related to tooth infection - and it needs to be eliminated. That can only be accomplished with dental treatment. If the teeth are broken to the gumline, only extracting these teeth can stop your pain and eliminate the dental infection, unfortunately - I truly wish I could tell you otherwise.

Your jaw pain might well be related to the fact that you no longer have an adequate "bite" due to the lack of contact from the broken teeth.

First, it's very important for you to have an in-office examination. Second, from your description, it seems clear that the sooner the teeth that are irreparably broken are removed, the sooner your suffering will stop. Antibiotics alone can't solve this. I'd recommend consulting with your dentist and following through on essential treatment as soon as possible. I'm sorry - I realize how challenging this can be. But please - be good to yourself if possible : get the treatment you need.

I'm going to sleep shortly - long day : ) . But I'm here - let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. If not, a positive rating would be much appreciated.

I hope you fell much better soon.

Be well,

Dr Shernan