Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I had a tooth removed today, it was rotting/cracked and the

Customer Question

I had a tooth removed today, it was rotting/cracked and the nerve was exposed and causing severe pain. The tooth was completely removed... Do they take the nerve out too or is there any chance that this won't fix the problem and I will still have pain once it heals?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 9 months ago.

Hello there – there's no need to worry. The nerve exists inside the tooth. So it is removed along with the tooth. With rare exception once the tooth is removed within a short period of time healing should take place. During this time there may be minor discomfort. You should follow your dentist's instructions. Within a few days to a week you should be comfortable. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated. Be well – Dr. Shernan