Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have a cracked root under a crown with a root canal. What

Customer Question

I have a cracked root under a crown with a root canal. What complications
can occur if I don't have this tooth removed cause its tolerable to deal with it
right now?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

A cracked tooth will present problems progressively. Sometimes the issues are obvious immediately - pain and /or infection. Sometimes the problems present gradually. But, unfortunately, the problem will create greater complications as time passes. Pain can increase and become quite severe. Infection may start, unnoticed, and progress, causing bone loss around the tooth. This can make replacement, such as an implant, difficult or impossible.I'd like very much to be able to tell you that it is OK to leave the tooth alone. But if you have a definitive diagnosis of a non-restorable crack, the best thing to do would be to have the tooth removed as soon as you are able and, perhaps, discuss replacing the tooth in a time frame that is suitable for you. This will minimize problems for you moving forward.

Please let me know if I canprovide additional information to answer your question. If not, a positive rating would be much appreciated.

be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is tooth number 18 and 19 has a crown on and the one in front is a regular tooth. What is a good viable
option for me to fill that spot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is a bridge a good option?

Hi again - The two best options would be :

1. An implant supported crown for #18

2. A "cantilever" bridge. This would be fabricated by making a crown for #20 which is fused to a (new) crown on #19 which is also fused to a "pontic" -a crown that is attached to the bridge, but "floats"over where #18 was (after extraction)

Of these two options, I feel an implant supported crown is the best one. It does not require reduction of the tooth #20. And it does not involve additional teeth for its success. Cost will probably be comparable. That would be a question for your dentist.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need additional information. I'm here to help - and happy to do so.

Dr Shernan

Hello - Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. I'm here to help - and happy to do so. If not a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Be well,

Dr shernan