Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I bit on something hard two weeks ago and my molar is now

Customer Question

I bit on something hard two weeks ago and my molar is now heat sensitive and aches occasionally, I didn't lose any filling and it doesn't appear to have cracked, its not loose, could it just be bruised?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Can you put biting pressure on the tooth without it hurting? Are you having any cold sensitivity?Do you have any teeth missing around this tooth that have not been replaced.? Do you have any swelling or is the pain getting worse? Do you grind your teeth?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can, although some food hurts if its hard,yes cold and heat sensitivity no teeth missing, no swelling, pain not getting worse just more frequent yes I grind my teeth
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you still there ?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

The ligament around the tooth is most likely bruised and is still being irritated by your grinding because when the ligament gets bruised, fluid collects at the bottom of the ligament and makes the tooth sit slightly out of your bite causing a hyperocclusion.This is easily fixed by having the opposing tooth adjusted by buffing off a fraction of a millimeter of the cusp.This will allow the tooth to recover.Taking an anti-inflamatory like ibuprofen also helps.The tooth adjustment takes about five seconds and is painless.You will get immediate relief and the pain will be gone in about 48 hours

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry ,I type very slowly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cant take anti inflammatory but the rest makes sense , what if I do nothing will it eventually go by itself?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

It will just take longer because of the constant irritation from grinding.If you have a night guard or can buy a store bought night guard,this will help also.Once the irritation from the opposing tooth is diminished,your pain will leave that much sooner.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

When you get a chance,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?