Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

My name is ***** ***** - I have an appointment with a

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** - I have an appointment with a dentist but am just a bit worried (tiny bit of dental phobia) as I know I will need a heck of a lot of treatment
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have i think 3 dental cavities on 2 of my front incisors and one of my canine teeth - i am hoping it will just be fillings, I also have a tooth i think a premolar that i think has died - i fear this will need pulling but hope for a rootcanal i also know many teeth will need crowns
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

Please don't be overly concerned. The issues you are describing can be treated simply and in a comfortable way under local anesthesia. You should have an essentially pain free experience. And your care can be scheduled at your own pace. After Novocaine is given (or the appropriate anesthetic), you will be comfortable throughout your visit.

The nerve of the premolar you mentioned may be "dead" - the dentist will make this determination and discuss it with you. However if the tooth is not badly damaged he should be able to perform a root canal comfortably for you and save the tooth.

Remember - you are in control here. The dentist will discuss your care with you and make treatment suggestions. But it is you ultimately who decides what care options to choose and schedule it in accordance with your comfort.

Often the anxiety of anticipating dental care is far worse than the actual treatment. Over the years I've had countless patients tell me that the worry prior to the appointment was the worst part - the actual treatment was easy - and they wish they simply hadn't waited or worried.

Do your best to be calm and confident - you are doing the right thing in taking care of yourself.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Hello again,

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information to answer your question. I'm here to help - and happy to do so. If not, a positive rating for my effort would be greatly appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan