Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I am having severe mouth pain. Had a filling done Friday &

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I am having severe mouth pain. Had a filling done Friday & the pain is still there.
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: The pain is in the whole left side of my face, upper & lower. It seems to emanate from the inside of my lower jaw bone (though the filling that got taken care of was an upper)/
JA: Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: I have a crown next to the tooth that was filled. The dentist said it looked good on the x-ray but who knows, I guess there could be problems underneath that don'
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: oops don't show up on the xray.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 9 months ago.

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear about your issue - but I'll try to assist you.

It is possible that your tooth has an inflamed nerve, which is know as a "pulpitis". This could be due to a vary deep feeling placed after extensive decay was removed that was very close to the nerve of the tooth just filled. So, even though the filling was done, the nerve could be inflamed, causing the toothache. A "pulpitis" of this sort sometimes subsides by itself. On the other hand, if your pain is severe, it is often an indication that the inflammation is irreversibe. It is also possible, of course, that the crowned tooth is the source of the problem, but less likely. Often when a tooth is severely painful, it can radiate to the opposing jaw - a phenomenon known as "referred pain". It becomes difficult for an individual to tell if the pain is from a tooth on the top or the bottom. But, given your recent work, I suspect the issue is the recently filled tooth. It is possible that a root canal is necessary to fix the problem and alleviate your pain. I would suggest calling your dentist's office. Most office's have an emergency phone number to handle such situations. Perhaps your dentist can see you on an emergency basis and provide proper pain medication and treatment. I would certainly hope so, anyway.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. I'm here to help - and happy to do so. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated.

I hope you're feeling much better soon.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Hi Jay,

I'm hoping your toothache has been treated and you're feeling more comfortable. Please let me know if I can provide additional information to answer your question. I'm here to help and happy to do so. If not a positive rating for my effort would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan