Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My dentist said I needed a root canal on the area of 'upper

Customer Question

My dentist said I needed a root canal on the area of 'upper left side' but he doesn't do that because I have a permanent bridge ( I'm not sure that is the right name for it )
I have no pain no tenderness no discoloration on the outside of gum area.
He said there is a slight shadow on my X-ray and that tells him I have a 'huge infection' and need a root canal. The dental insurance I have does not pay for this. He said otherwise my teeth are in good shape.
I am on a fixed ( low ) income and don't have the cash to do this. AND why wouldn't I have some pain if I needed a root canal. I have had three root canals in the past and remember it was painful before I got them done. I have no symptoms and don't know what to do. If my dentist won't do this where can I go that is the least amount of money ?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a copy of the xrays to upload so that I can give you an accurate diagnosis of your problem? Do you have any swelling,pain to biting pressure or pain when eating hot foods? Do you have a small pimple above the area where the dentist thinks that you have an infection?The first issue that needs to be determined is if you need a root canal at all.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no pain, swelling, pimple, pressure sensitivity to hot or cold NOTHING !! except a shadow on the xray which is only
available to the dentist. It has become a very strange issue when going in to get my teeth cleaned.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Shadows on xrays can be deceiving.A shadow on the xray alone,with no other symptoms present,does not necessarily justify treatment.The xray would be helpful to give you an accurate opinion but in light of your description,I would postpone any further treatment.If you can get the xray, I would be happy to look at it for you.To be safe,another dentist should give an opinion based on the xray findings.We see many things on xrays that look to be pathology but many times are not.Xray findings alone do not dictate treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Is there any more information that you need?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

If you have no further questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the info. I will see if there is a local dentist that will give me a second opinion. I really feel that I do not need
an invasive procedure done. I appreciate your in-put / information. I can't afford a $50.00 phone call.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

I would definitely get a second opinion.I have seen what looks to be pathology in many patients and they go for decades without any symptoms or problems. When you get a chance,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks and good luck