Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

In September 2015 I was diagnosed/biopsy with geographic

Customer Question

In September 2015 I was diagnosed/biopsy with geographic tongue/glossitis. I have tried clotrimazole, mouth washes, chlorhexidine, & zinc lozenges. So far zinc has seemed to keep it under control but not cured. Is there a cure??? I am a registered dental hygienist & three sons are dentists - still no cure!! *** ******
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 9 months ago.

Hello!! Well it sounds like you've tried a lot of products, and nothing has reduced the symptoms you are experiencing even a little bit? It would seem that in order to control this it would be critical to look at finding the culprit that's causing the transient inflammation. My suspicion would be that it is something in the diet. Now that's not the easiest thing to track, but when it's evaluated for a few weeks you might be able to uncover a specific food/beverage or supplement that is exacerbating the condition. Avoid spicy foods and alcohol for sure, and then track specific subsets of food for instance a gluten sensitivity may be developing and weakening your immune system slight hence eliciting oral reaction.

Have you been experiencing dry mouth? Medication changes? Changes intraorally like having a new crown, bridge, partial may be causing a traumatic. Has any of your sons prescribed any kind of corticosteriod or Medrol dose pack that may alleviate the condition? Have you had your iron levels checked recently or could you possible be anemic?

Obviously as a hygienist your oral hygiene is likely impeccable. After ruling out a few of these possibilities, there is always the chance that its an idiopathic condition. Let me know if any of the above questions/suggestions you've already tried and I can answer further.