Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have a red spot or on the back of my tongue on one side

Customer Question

Hi I have a red spot or mark on the back of my tongue on one side where the tongue joins the skin, it is sore and feels like I have eaten something sharp, it comes and goes and seems to be related to some foods such as garlic and juices, is it anything to worry about as I saw a picture of foliate papillae cancer and am concerned as I suffer from health anxiety, can I send a picture somehow?
Thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 11 months ago.

Hello there,

The chances are excellent that your issue is not serious - it's very unlikely from what you've described that it is cancerous, so not to worry.

you probably have an inflamed or blocked salivary duct. This can be caused by trauma (something sharp, chemical or heat burn) or a blocked salivary dust from a small salivary stone. When you eat something acidic or spicy, your salivary gland secretes saliva. This can cause an inflamed or blocked duct to hurt.Generally, this issue resolves on its own over several days. If it does not, consult with your dentist. He may suggest a minor procedure, such as massaging the area if he feels there is a salivary blockage. Rinsing with warm water and a teaspoon of salt can help sooth the inflammation.

Try not to be overly concerned - a red spot in this area alone does not sound at all serious in nature.

Let me know if you need additional inforation to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Hello again,

Do you need any additional information from me to answer your question ? I'm here to help and happy to do so. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan