Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

My child fell and t her tooth on a chair. It bled. It was

Customer Question

My child fell and hit her tooth on a chair. It bled. It was already kind of loose. I noticed its grey in the back of tooth and a little gray in the gum area above the front of the tooth. Is that nerve damage? And should I take her to the dentist tomorrow? Or just let it fall out whenever the time comes. It's just a little sore she says.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 9 months ago.

Hi Malissa,

You are correct that the gray appearance is an indication of internal bleeding. Traumatic injuries to the teeth can cause internal bleeding which results in the staining your now seeing. Have injured darkened teeth in children does not always result in symptoms or abscesses and many times they will just be lost normally without any dental intervention. How old is your child?