Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

Dr. Bornfeld I wrote to you months back about three root

Customer Question

Dr. Bornfeld I wrote to you months back about three root canals that failed in my upper back jaw. You recommended I get a retainer instead of implants as I also have bad sinusitis and am a grinder, though I use a night guard now. Last year I had two crowns put on my lower teeth and one is currently infected, going in for another root canal tomorrow. I wonder if I'd be better to just pull it, as the others failed, and use the money for an implant? Right now I am missing five back teeth.

Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

The Justanswers moderator has requested that I answer your question as Dr Bornfield is apparently not available toniqht. I am Dr Shernan, and I'd be happy to assist you.

If you are a "grinder" and have had poor luck with previous root canals, it is certainly a reasonable choice to consider an implant as an alternative. A root canal followed by fabrication of crown is, statistically, quite a reliable treatment option. But there is a certain statistical degree of failure, as with any treatment. This percentage of failure increases with "grinders" - or "bruxers". Implant supported restorations tend to be very reliable for people such as yourself. I think it is a very good choice to opt out of having another root canal done and opt into an implant restoration.

Please let me know if you need more information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating.

be well,

Dr Shernan

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance - I'm here to help.

Cheers,

Dr Shernan