Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a 20 year old root canal tooth extracted 3 days ago.

Customer Question

I had a 20 year old root canal tooth extracted 3 days ago. The oral surgeon sectioned the tooth and removed it in 3 pieces...........each of 3 roots. One of the roots looked white , the others looked a medium dark brown..red , like little worms. When he looked at the sockets he asked if i had sinus problems and I said not really. He said he saw scar tissue and commented the tooth should have been pulled 6 months ago. He opted not to clean the sockets much stating that we will let mother nature take care of this. Was this the right choice? Will my body take care of old bacteria and so forth and will the sockets fill and create new bone properly? I am on Amoxicillian Clavulanate for 7 days. Am I concerned about nothing?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When the tooth was removed,so was the source of the infection.You are on the correct antibiotic and you should heal with no worries.Your surgeon was probably just being cautious about the sinus membrane that is at the base of the socket.It is a thin membrane that separates the mouth from the sinus cavity.I am sure that he was just trying not to perforate it.Your body will heal this area without any treatment.The socket though heals from the bottom up and will take about six weeks to close completely.You should be fine.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?