Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I swallowed a crown. Will it pass through the intestine? I

Customer Question

I swallowed a crown. Will it pass through the intestine?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was getting ready for bed. I am a diabetic and I normally have a teaspoon of peanut butter before bed. The crown which was loose went down with the peanut butter.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 9 months ago.

Hello there,

The crown will most likely pass through your intestine. It would be extremely rare if this didn't happen within a day or so, assuming normal bowel movements. Some individualswill actually induce vomiting and others prefer to err on the side of extreme caution and opt to have xrays taken by their physician to monitor the movement of the crown through the intestine. Most people do not seek medical monitoring - the crown simply passes.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd apprecite a positive rating.

Thanks,

Dr Shernan