Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Dr.Katz. On 18 th of febuary i had an uncontrollable

Customer Question

Hello Dr.Katz. On 18 th of febuary i had an uncontrollable pain at the upper right 2 nd teeth.The filling came out abd u got infection.I went to emergency dentist .He told we can try root canal but maybe it will not ve successful.I agreed.Meantime i developed fever.After the treatmen few hours my upper lips got swollen.Temperature was 39.2 what was successfully reduced.But i continued to feel like 2 cotton swab was put just under my nostrils.It was hard and painful to touch.Meantime i began to take Amoxycillin abd Metronidazol.I called back the dentistry but the doctir was available only 2 days later.They told double the antibiotic.I doybled but my uooer lips remained swollen and a small oedema under my eyes appeared.So i didnt hesitated searched another dentist whi made x eay and told itvwas abcessed but i have to go back to the original dentist and he dudnt do anything.Then i searched another dentist who told 3 teeth are infected and he would remove them. So the upper left 2 , the upper right 1 and 2 removed. After the procedure night i had liw grade fever.Itvwas before yesterday. Yesterday i was fever free but night 37.2 C mild subfever.

The cotton swab sensation is there still. My priblem is my right sude nasal cavity is blocked and sometimes a strange brownish pinkish srtange smell water comes out.What can it be?Today i have regulat appointment with my dentistry office i m usually registered.

wgat cab it be? I am so frightened.This last 3 days was like hell.

Thanks for answer

Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.
This answer will not be able to cover everything specifically - as there are too many factors unknown, but this would be my recommendation: First, I'd stick to the Amoxicillin/antibiotic, at least for now, unless your upcoming appointment Dentist suggestes another antibiotic. Then, I'd do the basic health smart tips, such as attempt to get a good amount of sleep - if possible. Drink lots of fluids, and do your best to stay strong! Remember, almost always, the theme "this too will pass", will ultimately, and soon be the result. And that is beneficial to you. Lastly, I'd attempt to get a minimum of two trusted Dentists. This is quite important, especially in your particular situation, as your situation is rather ambiguous and difficult. But PLEASE, hang tough, see the Dentist at your scheduled appointment, and move forward from there. And, in a short few days, "likely" your situation will be much improved! I indeed wish you all the best!!! Best Regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
The fluid that is coming out of your nostril is coming from the sinus area.It is most likely that the sinus was perforated when the upper teeth were removed.It is important that you see a qualified oral surgeon and not a general dentist at this point.If you have been on amoxicillin and are not getting any change in the area,you will need to be switched to ***** am not sure if you are dealing with the HHS or if you are being treated privately but you must insist at this point to be seen by an oral surgeon so that they can deal with closing the sinus tear.General dentists for the most part do not have the experience to deal with this issue.