Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I just got porcelain veneers... not totally happy with them

Customer Question

JA: OK. The Dentist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: My questions are (1) I have six veneers on top -- it may look better with two more - can they be added later?
JA: Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: (2) can one of the veneers be very slightly shortened?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

How long ago did you get the veneers? Did they let you look at the veneers in place before they cemented them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yesterday... they let me look at the top but seemed to forget about the bottom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was kind of hard to tell what the issues would be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The top teeth are just kind of big and bulky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got four on the bottom but they are starkly different than my natural teeth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyone there or is this just a moneymaking ripoff?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

There are actually a lot of issues with veneers.One of them is that they are expensive.If you are not happy with them,they can be removed and remade.They also always make the tooth bulkier because so little preparation is done to the tooth and the thickness of the porcelain is always more than what they take off.Please be patient ,I am a slow typist

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

In addition to that,veneers are not really reliable restorations because the retention on them is minimal.They like to sell them to you because there is a big profit for the dentist and very little work that is done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they have to be removed to be modified? Also, re lack of color match up, would there be any downside to using zoom whitening on the original visible teeth (other than having to periodically repeat it)?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

A better restoration that gives better retention,better looks and protection for your teeth would be crowns or caps.They cost about the same and will last you far longer than any veneers will.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If it is just a slight adjustment ,they can be trimmed,but the bulk will still remain.Whitening is just temporary and needs to be repeated.Once the teeth are prepped for veneers,you need to cover them with veneers or crowns,whitening is not an option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already invested 22k so really do not want to start all over again. I would like to make modifications or improvements. Did you say they can be shaved down slightly and that I can use whitening. Those two things would likely improve them to the point I could tolerate them
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Veneers themselves cannot be whitened.The veneers can be removed and you can have new ones made.Did they explain to you prior to getting the veneers that your teeth would be bulkier?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If the veneers were just placed and you do not like them,the dentist is obligated to make them look and feel right even if they need to all be remade.They can also change the color.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not bulkier.. except for one bottom tooth to fill in for some crowding
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Again,they only remove a fraction of a millimeter of your tooth structure to construct a veneer but the veneer is over 1.5 mm thick.That is why veneers make the teeth bulkier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my dentist took a lot off the front teeth, which I wasn't crazy about but deferred. ones on the side he didn't take so much off... could be it is why they are the bulkiestFunny thing was the dental assistant made temporaries in the office and I loved them.. felt a little odd but got use to it and was sorry to get rid of them after 3 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never expected that to happen
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The temporaries were acrylic and probably a little thin.You paid a lot of money for these veneers.You do not have to accept them if you do not like them.They can be changed and there should be no additional charge to you.Just be careful with them.There is little retention with these veneers and they can shear off.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I am going to let someone else help you.You seem to be a little upset and I cannot fix your problem.