Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a root canal on Friday with 6 shots of novacain (not

Customer Question

I had a root canal on Friday with 6 shots of novacain (not sure of the spelling) and it is still bothering me. It is painful when I push on it (which I am now doing obsessively) and in my muscle where the shots went still hurts. Is this normal. I should also mention that a week before that I had another root canal and two crowns and one filling down. I also had zoom whiting done the Thursday before my last root canal, which was a horrific experience (the zoom whiting). I was in pain for a solid 24 hrs like I have never felt in my life.
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else important you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: No that should be about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

What type of pain are you having? Do you have pain to hot or cold foods or do you have pain to biting pressure? Do you have any swelling?Is the pain confined to your muscle area where the local anesthetic was injected?When you bite down,does this tooth that was root canaled seem to hit first?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is more like a throbbing pain. No pain to hot and cold and there seems to be swelling still.. I am not chewing on that side of my mouth, but when you push on the top of it there is pain and pressure. The pain also seems to be in the muscle area where the local anesthetic was injected.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Did you have any swelling before the root canal was done? Were you placed on an antibiotic?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did and yes I am on an antibiotic
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Which antibiotic are you taking and what doseage are you taking? When did you start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
clindamycin hcl 150mg every six hours. I forgot to take it on sunday, but started again yesterday
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

You should be taking 300 mg every six hours.It is not a good idea to complete root canal treatment in the presence of swelling.Normally we will place you on an antibiotic and open the tooth to drain before sealing it up if you have an infected tooth with swelling.It takes at least 48 to 72 hours for the antibiotic to begin to show its effects. Closing the tooth in the presence of swelling and the fact that you were on too low of a dose of clindamycin is most likely the cause of your pain due to an infection that is not yet resolved.Your best bet is to increase your clindamycin doseage and stay on it for 7 days.If the root canal was done correctly,this swelling should resolve.Depending on the injection technique,you may have experienced some needle trauma.This happens sometimes when local anesthetics are injected but should resolve within a week.If you have an xray of the area that is in question.I would be happy to look at it for you to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so increase the antibiotic and you think that should help? The dentist has the xrays. I do not I wish I did. By increasing the antibiotic this would kill any infection that is in there?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

That really should help. Again,if you had swelling before the root canal was done,you already had an infection.We like to get the infection under control before sealing the tooth up.It is just common sense.The source of your infection should be gone because the pulp of the tooth has been removed.Now you are just dealing with the bacteria that are still in the soft tissues of your face.Increasing your dose and staying on it for one week should resolve the infection if the root canal was done properly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. thank you. do you think it would still b wise to contact my dentist to check with him? How can you tell if the root canal was done properly?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also just looked in the mirror and I actually have visible swelling in my face and jaw line
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

I would need to see the xray to be able to tell you about the root canal.You can always check with your dentist.The fact that you were on too low of a dose of the clindamycin and the fact that the root canal was completed while you still had swelling makes me kind of suspect his judgement.It is important that you increase your doseage to 300 mg every six hours and stay on it arounfd the clock for a week.The swelling should resolve.If you can get the xray,I would be glad to look at it for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I too am questioning his judgement. I am going to try to get my xrays emailed to my email so I have them. I believe he thought the swelling was from the crown prep he did. This has been an unpleasant week for me with my teeth and I feel as if he just was interested in the money I was paying and less interested in my well being
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Crown preps do not cause swelling in the face.Yours is not the first story that I have heard about dentists thinking about the money before the welfare of their patients.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To make it all that much better my dentist goes on vacation tomorrow and I start a new job today. I hope the antibiotic helps my situation
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

It should.Keep me posted on your progress. I hope that you feel better soon.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Try to eat some yogurt or take some probiotics with the clindamycin to keep down the stomach problems that can occur.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will do. thank u
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome.Please leave a rating when you get a chance and send the xrays if you would like and I will have a look at them for you.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Are you feeling any better?